Wednesday, December 15, 2010

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken

Prior to Saturday's Speech Competition, I had never heard of this book or this author. I don't read many memoirs - it's outside of my preferred genres (YA and Horror!).

After watching a very dramatic young woman present her interpretation of this book, I feel I must read it. And, not only read it, but select it as my next book club pick (hopefully my fellow book clubbers aren't reading this post - I want it to be a surprise - ha).

At first, I didn't even catch the title of the book when the young lady started her delivery - - it's too long and complicated, and then I got the feeling her dramatic presentation was going to be about a mother's miscarriage. Frankly, I thought, how can a teenager (sorry, I did it, I looked "down" at her momentarily) begin to understand such an emotional experience of a mother miscarrying a baby? But, I'll tell you what... if this young woman has never had a miscarriage, then she has some sort of ability to channel the spirit of a mother who has.

I almost did an ugly cry and choke thing right there during the presentation. Instead, I forced myself to stop breathing for a few moments while a tear rolled down the young lady's cheek. I thought if I sat frozen I could control my own emotions.

Because, remember, I was a judge and there were five other young ladies (and one of their mothers) watching my reactions.

Holy Crap. She was good. I ranked her first.

I can only hope the book is half as good as her interpretation!

Are you in a book club? What are you reading? Have you ever picked up a book because of someone else's recommendation and regretted it?

2 comments:

  1. WTG at controlling your emotions-- especially while judging! That would be rough!

    I'm not in a book club, but I went to the library and got a stack of books yesterday, mostly at other people's recommendations. So far, so good-- although two of them are way outside my normal genres, so we'll see what happens when I get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, incredible. May we all be so talented as authors as to get into the heart of our characters and our novels! No wonder you rated her #1. :)

    ReplyDelete